Thursday, August 18, 2005

Rite of Passage and My Three Sons

Rites of passage come in various forms. For my eldest son, my wife, and me our trek to his university yesterday began an initiation that we all knew was coming but which I could not fully embrace until it happened. As a dad, I probably feel it more so than the younger Thomas; however, there is a tinge of sadness in the transition. Yet, as it should be, there is much excitement, too.

I count it a privilege to have a part in raising my three sons. And, to this end, I have always made it my aim to raise men – not boys. They must know their God, hear His voice, follow His lead, and do so because of His life within them and their choosing to yield to His love and will. This is how it should be; thus, part of the process is encouraging them to stand and lead. So, yesterday, sad as it is that I will not enjoy the daily presence of my son, I took delight in watching him push the boat from shore and set sail towards this next phase of life.

Moreover, I take delight in knowing he has demonstrated a habit of walking with God and in His wisdom. One of the Proverbs of Solomon kept wafting through my heart as we wrapped up our time together on his new campus.

My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad; my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right. (Proverbs 23: 15-16)

My son, you have indeed gladdened the heart of this humbled yet very proud dad. Cheers and all the best on your new endeavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home