Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Have we lost the plot?

How refreshing. The Servant Song by Richard Gillard is a nice counterpoint to many more modern melodies meant for corporate worship. The idea of extoling Christian fellowship without complexity (sans programs, hoopla, and religious entanglement) is a welcome memory. Somewhere along the way, we've lost the plot in our visible exegesis of Christian living.

The Flaming Lips once did a cover (I actually like the recording) of "Plastic Jesus". You may know it ? It is a tune that is quite entrenched in the folk tradition. I wonder if, in some ways, American - maybe even Western en todo- christianity hasn't created "plastic" religious trinkets of our own to sell to each other and distract us from serving those to whom we are sent? Are we loving our brethren and neighbors or are we packaging "church" and all of our trinkets for sale to an identifiable market segment of religious consumers?

Certainly, the lyrics to "Plastic Jesus" ruffle the feathers of many "pious folk" and maybe it should; however, if it "ruffles" us - His hopefully non-plastic Church- towards repentance and genuine engagement in the lives of our neighbors, we should welcome the air play.

In contrast, here is a most excellent (non-plastic) reminder (from the 70's no less) for us today as we work out our part in the narrative of God's redemption. It is certainly a lyric worthy of note and an all over great song.

The Servant Song (Brother, Let Me Be Your Servant)
Words and Music by Richard Gillard

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too

We are pilgrims on a journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night-time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the peace you long to hear

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through

When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too

© 1977 Scripture in Song

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home