Friday, June 24, 2005

Dad, Can We Go Get Ice Cream?

I know a post is due for Ch 4 and I am excited about the prospect for several reasons. First, the chapter was very helpful and posting forces me to crystalize my thinking. Two, it means I get to log on and read the thoughts of fellow bloggers who are sharing in this study. For me, making the weekly post is sort of like the cost of admission to the party and I really enjoy reading the thoughts of those who are taking part in the CoD blog project.

Anyway, if things go as planned, I'll get my post finished whilst making my way from LA to Atlanta. A four hour flight should allow ample time to write; yet in the meantime, I wanted to pass on an article that I found early this morning. It relates to last week's chapter on Prayer. The writer's style may or may not be "your cup of tea" but it is merits a read.

Here's and excerpt:

Do a quick review of Acts and you’ll be amazed at the consistency of the theme. The early church was born where? Out of a prayer meeting. In chapter 1, Jesus told His disciples to wait and to pray. In chapter 2, Pentecost came while they were praying. In chapter 3, the first miracle happened when Peter and John were on their way to a prayer meeting. In chapter 4, they were beaten up, thrown into prison, and then let out. When they came back to the church, they prayed for more effectiveness, and the ground shook. By chapter 6, the whole structure of the church changed. They had elders and deacons. Why? Because the leadership said they must give themselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word. When God revealed Himself to Cornelius, he was praying. When God revealed Himself to Peter in chapter 10, he was praying. When God called Paul and Barnabas out as missionaries, they were praying.

Historically, you’ll find that every great movement of God is tied with people who began to earnestly lay hold of what’s true about prayer.


To see where the "Dad, can we go get ice cream?" ties in and read the rest of the article click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home