Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Renovaré and a Cup O Joe

Over coffee today, I spent some time partaking of the Renovaré website and find it continues to resonate with much of the thoughts that ebb and flow with my present wrestling.

The archive collection which includes the
October 1996 - Vol. 6, No. 4 edition on Written Prayer was a positive find. I especially liked the preface by Richard Foster. In it, he sets out an excellent context for what may often be passed over as rote. (The author's observation on "the communion of saints" is worthy of note.) So, if you have the time, follow the link to Perspective, a quarterly newsletter. It really merits a visit.

Likewise, you may want to specifically track down the Written Prayer article. If so, you can find it here. In the meantime, here are two entreaties to ponder:

A Simple Prayer

I am, O God, a jumbled mass of motives.One moment I am adoring you, and the next I am shaking my fist at you.I vacillate between mounting hope, and deepening despair.I am full of faith, and full of doubt.I want the best for others, and am jealous when they get it.Even so, God, I will not run from your presence. Nor will I pretend to be what I am not. Thank you for accepting me with all my contradictions.Amen.

Be the Gardener of My Soul

Spirit of the living God, be the Gardener of my soul. For so long I have been waiting, silent and still—experiencing a winter of the soul. But now, in the strong name of Jesus Christ, I dare to ask:Clear away the dead growth of the past,Break up the hard clods of custom and routine,Stir in the rich compost of vision and challenge, Bury deep in my soul the implanted Word,Cultivate and water and tend my heart,Until new life buds and opens and flowers. Amen.
(Prayers From the Heart. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1994.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home